Mission 9, San Juan Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Fr. Serra Chapel, interior -- The baroque retablo is nearly 400 years old, from Barcelona, Spain by way of the Diocese of Los Angeles. It was installed in 1922 after the ceiling was raised to accommodate it. The center top figure is mission's namesake St. John of Capistrano, with his red banner symbolizing military as well as spiritual leadership. This chapel, constructed in 1777, is the only existing location where Fr. Serra is known to have celebrated Mass. Photo by Tom Jewett. Photo © copyright by Robert Hansen.